Welcome to Tri County Collision Center    |    995 Jaymor Rd., Southampton, PA 18966    |    Hours: Monday-Friday 8am-6pm, Saturday 9am-12pm



Tri County Collision Center


by admin, September 27, 2018, Tips

FAQs – 10 Common Car Insurance Questions

Choosing car insurance that is right for you can be a daunting task. Be sure to set your priorities on what is most important to you when it comes to a comprehensive policy. Do your research on reputable insurance providers and financial standings and be sure to comparison and price shop. Below is an outline of frequently asked questions when it comes to auto insurance

1) Am I required to have car insurance?
Yes! Car insurance policies are required to meet state laws. Failure to carry car insurance will result in significant penalties.

2) How much car insurance am I required to have?
The amount of car insurance coverage required differs by state.  However, all the state is concerned about is liability coverage. This means that the state wants to make sure that if you injure someone else, you will be able to pay for the damage through insurance.

The minimum limits for Pennsylvania auto insurance are: Bodily Injury Liability Coverage: $15,000 per person, $30,000 per accident. Property Damage Liability Coverage: $5,000. Uninsured Motorist Coverage: $15,000 per person, $30,000 per accident.

3) What is a deductible?
If you have a deductible associated with your auto insurance, you will have to pay the stated amount when you suffer an at-fault loss.  For example, if you back into the trash can at the end of your driveway and have $2,000 worth of damage to your car and have a $500 deductible, all the insurance would pay is $1,500.

4) Does my credit rating influence my car insurance rates?
Your credit rating can directly impact the rate of your car insurance. If you are sporting a high credit score, odds are you will pay less than those with a lower score or those with no credit history.

5) How can I save money on car insurance?
There are many ways to save money on car insurance. A clean driving record (meaning no moving violations or accidents) will pay lower premiums. You can also “bundle” your auto insurance with your home owner’s insurance or rental insurance to get a discount with most insurance providers.

6) Will I have to pay more for insurance if I am young?
Age and gender can play a significant role in insurance premiums. Males under 25 pay the highest insurance premiums, while married females pay some of the lowest rates. These premiums are based on statistical data illustrating high-risk drivers.

7) What’s the difference between comprehensive coverage and collision coverage?
Comprehensive coverage will cover your vehicle from “Acts of God” and theft.  Acts of God would be considered a deer crossing your driving path or a tree limb falling on your vehicle. Collision coverage is just like it sounds. If your car is involved in an accident with another vehicle, no matter who is found at fault, collision coverage is there to protect you and those involved in the collision. Neither coverage is required by state law; however, if you have a loan to repay for the cost of your vehicle, the lender may require it.

8) What’s the difference between Bodily Injury coverage and Medpay?
Bodily Injury liability insurance is coverage in the instance you are at fault in an auto accident and there is bodily injury to a third party, most often in another car. Medpay is coverage designed to cover the medical expense of individuals within your car. Keep in mind there will be a cap on what they pay and your personal insurance will then kick in. Also, if you are under the influence of a drug or alcohol, your no-fault coverage will not pay.

9) What car insurance coverage should I get?
You will be required to obtained the minimum state required insurance. If you have a newer car or you are making payments on your vehicle, you need comprehensive and collision coverage. There are several other options to add on depending on your individual needs. These may include towing, car rental, Medpay and roadside assistance.

10) Do I need more than the state minimum coverage?
If you have a significant amount of assets it is highly recommended that you consider getting more liability coverage than state law requires.  This will help prevent you from falling victim to a lawsuit should the state minimum not provide adequate coverage for personal injury when involved in an auto collision.

Tri County Collision has provided the finest paint and body repair services, accompanied by unsurpassed customer service, since 1974. We use the innovative, sustainable paint products and coatings under the AkzoNobel family of products to return your car to a fresh-off-the-lot look. Give our team a chance to repair your dings, scratches and scuffs by calling us at 215.322.5350 or stopping by our shop at 995 Jaymor Road, Southampton, PA 18966.